Faster brain ageing is here to stay. It’s a scary feeling when we realise that we are unable to retrieve information when it is most needed. We take for granted our ability to recollect, remember, recall information whenever needed without any conscious effort.
The amygdala stores information with emotional impact has a long shelf life, but the mundane one such as ‘switching off lights’, ‘ locking the door’ recalling names’ etc. is stored in the hippocampus which becomes inefficient due to data overload hence we experience ‘hung phenomena’.
1. Right Attitude: Mental power is no fixed entity. Believe that you can gain brainpower, a positive attitude comes from strong faith in yourself and your capabilities. Your brain ageing depends directly on how you view your life.
2. Avoid neurotoxic agents: Studies has shown that alcohol increases the excitability of neurons and give a quick flush of energy but the flip side is that it is a neurotoxic agent. Alcohol detoriates reaction time to visual and auditory stimuli, dulls the senses and make you stupid. It is most potent toxin among legal psychoactive agents. Prolonged alcohol use can produce memory loss. Avoid toxins from tobacco, psychedelic drugs, prescription drugs.
3. Intake of Antioxidants : Free radicals are harmful to the brain. Antioxidants are natural substances that is present in vitamin B1, B5, B6, Vit C, Vit E, ginseng, zinc & selenium.Antioxidents act as free radical scavengers consuming the free radicals within the cells.
4. Awareness of SELF : Attention towards SELF , discovering self( body, mind , life force). The 3 major functions of the brain are thinking, feeling & action. The brain is highly stimulated when you are aware of your thoughts, feelings & actions. The more you are attentive to your actions and events the easier you will feel to recall these events as memories in a future date.
5. Be calm & practice forgetting : The brain functions most effectively when calm. When there is negative emotions like jealousy, anger, envy, hate etc. there is increased blood flow to the entire body rather than the brain hence negative emotions obstruct powerful concentration that reduces efficiency. Practice to consciously forgetting trivia, because they clutter your mind.
6. Maintain healthy Gastrointestial tract : constipation lowers energy level thereby lowering functioning of Brian. Stagnant bowels produce lassitude, fatigue, irritability, reStlessness, intolerance & frequent illnesses.
7. Foods for brain : Omega 3 fatty acids helps to rejuvenate brain cells. Fish is definely a brain food. Oats, oatmeal, oat milk are said to strengthen the brain and fortify the nervous system. Clarified butter(ghee) is credited with correcting mental disturbances caused by energy imbalances, improving memory & stabilising the intellect. Curd is the best diary product. Eat dairy product primarily because of its pro-biotic actions in the intestines. Soya products are low in fat and high in amino acids that make up neurotransmitters. Brain’s fuel is glucose, hence if you go on starvation diet you starve your brain. Choline is the backbone of a nervous system called acetylcholine (neurotransmitter). The importance of acetylcholine cannot be overstated. The part of your nervous system that runs your heart and keeps your intestines moving along runs largely on acetylcholine. Similarly, any muscle you move requires a signal of acetylcholine to tell it to contract. Foods containing choline are egg, cauliflower, cod, mushroom, spinach, asparagus, cod, sardines, broccoli, beans. To name a few. Avoid Lead as lead is the greatest threat to human intelligence. Consuming enough iron and calcium is a good way to reduce lead damage. Vitamin D discourages lead from building up in the body.
8. Practice concentration & & flow experience: Concentration can double your brain power, when you split your attention you cut your potential brainpower into half. Effort to concentrate your brain is stimulated. When you are totally absorbed in a task with deep concentration & commitment you experience flow state and you cease to be aware of anything outside of what you are doing. Self conciousness & selfdoubt disappear. Flow experience is exciting, fulfilling & rewarding. People are more innovative about problem solving if they feel good. Feeling good helps to persevere at tasks. Feeling good is a reward & will induce positive changes in the brain ranging from release of natural opiates to the consumption of more brain-enhancing oxygen & nutrients.
9. Practice Enthusiasm : Enthusiasm stimulates brain function. Vibrancy results from enthusiasm. Keep the fire of enthusiasm on, you can achieve anything in this world. Every great achievement is the story of flaming enthusiasm.
10. Interact with environment & exercise : Take walks, listen to birds and insects, climb mountains, grow a garden, talk to strangers, take risk.. The more you interact with environment the more proficient your brain becomes. Physical exercise improves blood flow to brain. Asanas, pranayama & meditation increases mental fitness & restores brain’s bio-chemical ability.